Writing Commons is an intellectual space where graduate students receive writing support. Our goal is to help graduate students become a confident, creative, and improved writer.
The Writing Commons is back
The Writing Commons provides writing help to graduate students.
What we do
We provide one-on-one writing consultations to help you to:
- develop writing projects at any stage of the composing process
- revise your papers and other writing-related assignments
- provide feedback on your writing projects (e.g., papers, presentations, and proposals)
What you do
To efficiently help you, for each session, you are expected to be well-prepared by:
- bringing your writing drafts or writing plans
- providing details about your writing projects
- clarifying your writing concerns
How we help you
- Virtual drop in sessions for students to receive support on their writing, Mondays from 2-3:30 pm
- Online one-on-one consultation appointments (25 minutes to 50 minutes)
- Writing appointments are allotted based on availability and on a first-come-first-serve basis.
- Writing appointments are always in high demand, please make your appointment well in advance.
How we help you
To respect and adhere to Western’s related policies, please follow the following rules:
- You are the one to write your paper; we will not write any paper for you.
- We do not provide any editing or proofreading service.
- To ensure fairness and accessibility, you should book no more than 2 online appointments (i.e., 50 minutes in total) per week.
- Please only inquire about your own writing. Please keep in mind that any violation against Western academic regulations will not be permitted and tolerated.
- About any course-specific questions, your course instructor will be the appropriate one to contact.
There are a variety of valuable resources you can refer to during your academic writing. We encourage you to explore conventions about academic English writing in our field. The following are the links that may help you:
- Western Writing Support Centre
- Purdue University, IN – Online Writing Lab
- UWO Style Guides
- APA Style
- Tutorials on APA style guide
- APA Frequently Asked Questions
- Notable changes in APA Manual 7th edition
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please contact the coordinator of the Writing Commons, Madeline Crichton